Resume for Philip Boardman
Engineering Manager leading cross-functional software engineering teams
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Aligning team delivery planning with delivering value for company objectives and strategic initiatives
Hiring, performance management, and process improvement activities in collaboration with HR and hiring teams
Building teams, mentoring, coaching, professional development
Implemented agile, lean delivery processes and improvements, and driving engagement
Engineering Manager at Redbubble
October 2022 - Current
Redbubble is creating the world's largest marketplace for independent artists, bringing more creativity into the world.
Joined the Artist Experience team as Engineering Manager to lead the development of artist-facing features and experiences across the marketplace.
- Team alignment of corporate strategic initiatives
- Delivery planning for technical solutions with engineering best practices
- Mentoring, coaching, and development of software engineers
- Delivering impact to artist marketplace through high value initiatives
Presenting at Web Directions 2022
Engineering Manager at Compono
June 2021 - October 2022 (1 year, 5 months)
Compono is a SAAS HR talent optimisation software platform. Enabling companies to hire, develop and retain talent with employee centric and data driven insights.
Joined Compono in 2018 as the fourth developer working as a Senior Full Stack Developer, building job posting and candidate hiring web application with React, GraphQL, TypeScript and Node micro-services running in Kubernetes on AWS.
Took a Lead Full Stack Developer role in 2020 and formed a new team to create an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to extend the feature set of the intelligent hiring product. Introduced agile methodologies to the product team and implement a shift-left approach to quality.
Promoted to Engineering Manager in 2021, I trained a replacement lead developer for my team and began overseeing three product teams. I was involved in all aspects of hiring, mentoring, career development, and engineering process improvements. Lead the formation of a new team to tackle a significant strategic software re-architecture of a core business function.
- Building and managing engineering teams across a suite of software products
- Hiring, mentoring and performance reviews across teams of software engineers
- Working with product manager to establish and tracking roadmap and OKRs
- Establish and improve engineering processes, agile methodologies and performance of the software development lifecycle.
Lead Full Stack Developer at Compono
January 2020 - June 2021 (1 year, 6 months)
- Lead an agile transform of a cross-functional project team
- Product planning, scheduling, task breakdown and backlog management
- Lead engineering team in agile practices, including establishment of best practices across teams
- Build and maintain a greenfield SAAS ATS to compliment existing job management application
- Integrated with third-party calendar synchronisation platform to build self-scheduling interview feature
Senior Full Stack Developer at Compono
November 2018 - January 2020 (1 year, 10 months)
- Build and maintain features in React web applications with Kubernetes micro services
- Launched new ATS product for managing candidates in hiring pipeline
- Build internal messaging feature with external email notifications
- Delivered product features including Stripe billing system and internal UI component library
Software Engineer at AirService
August 2016 - October 2018 (2 years, 2 months)
AirService combines mobile commerce services to deliver an “out of the box” experience, fully branded as our client’s own.
- Built Angular and React applications backed by Ruby on Rails API server
- Application state management with Redux, AWS Lambda client/server integration
- Custom dashboards with D3 charting and React SVG components
- iOS/Android applications built with React Native
Senior Web Developer at Wisdom Advertising and Design
September 2012 - April 2016 (3 years, 7 months)
Wisdom is a marketing, advertising, design and web development studio.
- Worked with client managers to define customer scope and project specifications
- Delivered custom websites with CMS and ecommerce functionality to design brief
- Manage mobile application projects for iOS, Android and Windows
- Developed client branded email templates for EDM software
Web Developer at Bicycling Australia
September 2008 - June 2015 (6 years, 9 months)
Bicycling Australia operated 3 magazine titles, 3 e-commerce stores and an online classifieds site.
- Designed and built Drupal CMS, integrated into multiple branded ecommerce applications
- Implemented Ad platform software to manage online advertising inventory
- Rebuilt Classifieds site to integrate with CMS and advertising platform
- Developed and published 11 iOS apps to App Store
- Custom email newsletter generators for EDM software built as extension to ecommerce stores
Leadership, team building, mentoring, career development, hiring, performance management, agile coaching, code review, delivery planning, continuous delivery, technical decision making, process improvement, documentation, software development