As parents, we are looking for ways to empower our children to use technology in positive ways and understand how to best use the devices, whilst also understanding the cost, responsibilities, and repercussions of misuse.
This template is adapted from the sample on VeryWellFamily.com.
Phone Use Contract
This is a contract between the Child and the Parents and establishes the Conditions, Provisions, and Consequences regarding responsible phone use.
Conditions of responsible phone use
The Child will abide by the following conditions of responsible phone use at all times.
- I will share my phone's password with my parents and they may use it to check my phone at any time.
- I will not send threatening or mean texts to others.
- I will not send embarrassing photos of my family or friends to others.
- I will not use my phone's camera to take embarrassing photos of others.
- I will not use my phone to bully another person.
- I will not use my phone to buy or download anything without asking permission first.
- I will not text or place phone calls after 9 p.m.
- I will keep my phone charged at all times.
- I will answer or respond promptly when my parents contact me.
- I will not go over the plan's data usage. If I do, I understand that I may be responsible for paying any additional charges or that I may lose my phone privileges.
- I understand that I am responsible for knowing where my phone is, and for keeping it in good condition.
- I will obey the rules of etiquette regarding phones in public places. I will make sure my phone is turned off when I am in church, restaurants, or other quiet settings.
- I will obey any rules my school has regarding phones, such as turning them off during class.
- I will alert my parents if I receive suspicious or alarming phone calls or text messages.
- I will alert my parents if I am being harassed by someone via my phone.
Provisions of a phone and service
We the Parents, commit to the following provisions regarding responsible phone use.
- We will supply at no cost to the Child a basic phone that will make and receive phone calls and text messages.
- We will provision at no cost to the Child a basic phone plan to allow a suitable number of phone calls and text messages.
Consequences for breach of Conditions
The following consequences will be applied if the conditions of responsible phone use are not adhered to by the Child.
- I understand that having a phone is a privilege and that if I fail to adhere to this contract, my phone privilege may be revoked and the phone will be confiscated.
- If needed, I will be required to pay for any phone repair or replacement costs and for any excess charges that I incur without permission from my parents.
I hereby agree to abide by these conditions of responsible phone use.